Monday 5 October 2009

Neil Mawson: Cry Freedom 8b+


Cry Freedom was always one of those routes at Malham that I thought I'd never do. The old yorkshire limestone book that I had when 1st started climbing had it as the hardest route in the book! I got on it for the 1st time earlier this year at the start of the summer. I made quick progress and managed to redpoint upto the top boulder problem crux on about my 3rd day, probably hard 8b to here. But then made no more progress over the next few days so decided to leave it as it was getting warm and wait for cooler conditions in the Autumn.

About two months later after spending another couple of days on it refreshing the moves I managed a good link from the half height shake out to the top, pretty much all the hard climbing. Psychologically this was a massive boost to my confidence that I could do it. After two more days falling so close to the top I postponed my trip to Spain for two days to get one more chance. I was lucky and got perfect conditions, clear and cold and did it. By far the hardest route I've done and I'm now looking forward to my 3 month trip to Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment